Sunday, January 29, 2006

tofu scramble

I made a tofu scramble and pancakes for brunch when I got home from church today, and I have to say, scrambled tofu tastes like what I've always wished scrambled eggs tasted like. Yum. Thank you, Post Punk Kitchen! Since I didn't precicely follow their recipe, and halved the recipe, I'll fill you in as to what I did:

First, make the spice blend. Combine:
4 teaspoons of cumin,
2 teaspoons of dried thyme,
2 teaspoons of paprika,
1 teaspoon of tumeric, and
2 teaspoons of salt
in a small container or spice jar. Shake or stir well to combine, and reserve it for many batches of tofu scramble. (You should get about 8 servings from this mix. Measure once, eat many times, is my philosophy!)

To make two approximately 1-cup servings of scramble, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add about a half-tablespoon of light cooking oil. Cook:
1/2 cup chopped onion,
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper, and
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
for about 5 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft. Add:
1 clove of garlic, minced,
and cook for about a minute, or until the garlic is soft. Add:
2 1/2 teaspoons of spice blend,
and cook for about 30 seconds, or until the spices are fragarant. Deglaze the pan with:
about 2 tablespoons of water. Add:
half a package of firm tofu, pressed dry and crumbled slightly.
Cook the tofu, stirring occasionally and breaking up any huge chunks, until it begins to brown. Stir in:
2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast powder,
juice of half a small lime, and
half a cup of grated carrot.
Enjoy.

(Now, you can use any vegetables you have on hand instead of the peppers. I just really like peppers. Experiment away!)

No comments: