Thursday, July 16, 2009

nom, nom, nom.

A repeat or two this week, but given how tight our budget has been lately, (I'm sure you can all relate,) I'm being as creative as I can with all of this awesome, local produce we've been getting --

example
Another beans-n-rice dinner, with steamed broccoli on the side. I'm loving my "cheater" version of beans and rice lately -- cook some brown rice, drain some beans, combine the two with a few sliced green onions and a third of a jar of salsa. Top with optional cheese, and devour. Quick, cheap, healthy, and delicious!

example
More poached eggs, scapey-kale, and roasted baby potatoes.

example
This was one accidentally awesome tofu stir-fry. I combined 1/4 cup low-sodium tamari, 1/4 cup rice vinegar, 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil, 1 tbsp agave, chili flakes, and tons of ginger and garlic, and pureed the lot with my stick blender before marinading the tofu. I then fried up the 'fu in my cast iron with some kohlrabi, red pepper, and sugar snap peas, strained the marinade and mixed it with a little cornstarch, and added the sauce to the pan until it was thick and glossy. Dan took one bite of this and said, "wow!" We'll make this again, although the veggies may vary. :)

example
Dinner tonight was "Zuppa di Verdure," from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven. A light and delicious way to enjoy a variety of farmer's market veggies! I had a couple of slices of roasted garlic bread from the co-op on the side, which is AMAZING. Dan missed out on this one, since he's teaching an ESL class tonight, but there are plenty of leftovers, so I'm sure he'll have one (or three) chances to enjoy this soup in the coming week. :)

I also made lemon bars from The Joy of Vegan Baking tonight, but there was a slight, erm, accident when I was trying to remove the sheet of bars from the baking pan. Note to self: allow bars to cool completely and CHILL before removing from pan. I may be able to salvage one for a photo tomorrow, once they've gelled back together. :) Until then, imagine them a mess, but still delicious!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I should try that cheater version of beans and rice. Looks good. Sounds like a great stir-fry. I think we might try that next time.

Emily said...

Wow, that stir-fry looks great! I have not yet mastered tofu yet...it never comes out great!

Judy said...

Oh wow, that tofu dish looks amazing. I never thought to cook tofu in cast iron - I will try that next time.

J said...

Wow, you have been feeding yourself well on a budget. I can feel you on the "tight times", it makes me happy that I love beans and rice so much otherwise, eating cheap might suck. Your soup looks fantastic, and I am still trying to figure out how one would poach an egg. I'm not too great with eggs....