Sunday, January 30, 2011

yesterday in food

Dan and I went out for Chinese food on Friday night, so I decided to cook at home yesterday -- and made some fabulous meals!

Lunch:

Cleaning out the freezer at work, I discovered two Boca burgers from . . . um, summer? I think the last time I had one was at National Night Out! Anyhow, even though they were a little freezer burnt, they fried up beautifully in the cast iron, topped with a little monterey jack and served on whole-wheat toast with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and mayo. Mmmmmm! Pickles, Spud Puppies, and coleslaw on the side! (I tossed thinly shaved green and red cabbage, sliced green onion, and julienned jicama and red bell pepper with Liz's dressing recipe -- it's the BEST, and I always have the ingredients on hand for it!)

Quick pause for a "kids say the darndest" -- my students have become quite culinarily curious lately, and have been excited to try new fruits and veggies that either my coteacher or I bring in. Lately, they've loved fresh fennel, grapefruit, and pomegranates! I cut up some of the jicama for them to try on Thursday; as they were munching away, one of the boys said, "what's this called again?" I replied; he continued, "OH -- I thought you said 'hiccups!'" We all thought that was awesome!

OK, back to food. Dinner was per Dan's request -- sushi and miso soup!

Dan picked up a teensie piece of fish for himself from Coastal Seafoods, and I made myself a couple of veggie rolls with cucumber, red bell pepper, and avocado. Even though I didn't add quite enough miso to the soup, the meal was awesome! I left the table stuffed and satisfied, full of veggies, tofu, edamame, and rice. :)

I don't yet know what we're up to today, but I'm sure I'll be back later with more food! I feel like baking, but don't know what I'm going to make. Suggestions? Ideas? I'm thinking either bars or muffins, but don't really have a plan as of yet. Decisions, decisions!!

1 comment:

Deb Schiff said...

Love Spud Puppies! Your sushi looks very tasty.