Sunday, March 05, 2006

cooking projects and cookbook projects

Despite the fact that I probably walked over five miles yesterday and went to bed pretty late, I slept like crap last night, and then woke up with a "ping!" at 7 a.m. this morning. Only to be followed shortly by a haze of fatigue, which persisted the rest of the day. (It could be due to the lack of caffeine -- I did have only one cup of very weak tea, instead of my usual two cups of coffee.) I went to church, then spent much of the afternoon laying on the couch, watching "March of the Penguins" and "City of God." I love Netflix.

Before I hunkered down for the afternnoon, I made Chickpea Pocket Pies for lunch. This is a recipe I've been testing for my cookbook, and it still needs some tinkering. I think the filling is right on, although I might add more veggies and chickpeas the next time I make it -- it was a wee bit "saucy." But it tastes fabulous.

The crust, on the other hand, was a pain in my arse. I have had poor luck with whole wheat pastry crusts -- they have dried out on me a couple of times now, and it just makes me frustrated because, if I'm going to eat pastry, it better be dang tasty, because it has so much fat in it.

I may abandon the pastry altogether in favor of a bread dough crust in the future. Just as fussy, but healthier and more predictable.

After I hibernated and tackled two hours worth of dirty dishes, I worked on adapting a cookie recipe from my childhood, and created "Ginger Spice Bars." (I'm into bar cookies lately. I can get a pan of them made and in and out of the oven in under a half an hour.) They are gooey, fantastic, and addictive. So gooey, in fact, I may reduce some of the oil I used in favor of plain yogurt, just to save a little more fat per bar. And I forgot the flax. Boo!

I have to say, although this is a lot of work, this part of the cookbook writing is a lot of fun.

Hey, and how about some comments, folks? Do I have friends or family who read this thing???? Let me know!

No comments: