Monday, March 13, 2006

sweet potato pie

What to do at 8:30 in the morning on a snow day? Why, make a sweet potato pie, of course!

Yes, I'm a little crazy. But I felt like baking, and that can of organic sweet potato puree that I bought on Friday night was calling me. So, I made a crustless pie.

This is my new favorite way to make pumpkin and sweet potato pies, because you save a LOT of fat by skipping the crust, and honestly, I'm not eating sweet potato or pumpkin pie for the crust. :) I veganized the recipe on the can, and this is what I did:

1. Preheat your oven to 425. Grease and flour a 9-inch pie plate or 9-inch square pyrex baking dish. (I had to use the latter -- Don still has my pie plate from when I gave him his birthday pie. I should remember to ask for it back tomorrow! I think it will work better this way, however -- squares of sweet potato pie will fit better in my lunchbox!)
2. Whisk together one tablespoon of commercial egg replacer with 1/4 cup warm water. Whisk in 3/4 cup natural granulated sugar, (that seems like a lot, and I may reduce the amount of sugar in the future, but I wanted to make the recipe as written once, just for comparison,) 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ginger, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 cup plain soy milk. Whisk in one can (15 ounces) of sweet potato puree.
3. Dump the sweet potato custard into the prepared pan and bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 350 and bake at least 30 minutes longer, or until the edges and top begin to brown and the custard is thick, bubbly, and gooey. Cool the custard completely before eating, and immediately refrigerate any leftovers.

I may cook more later today . . . we'll just have to see.

1 comment:

Harmonia said...

I'll add you right away! Thanks for jumping on board! You'll meet other veggies - they are great ladies!