Monday, March 13, 2006

my first stab at fusion cooking

I've been staring out the window, watching the snow whip around in the wind, and reading "World Vegetarian" off and on all day today, and all of these ingredients and flavors have been running amok in my head. Hence, I dove into fusion cooking.

I didn't measure anything, so I'll just list ingredients. I may make this again some other time and call it "Lentil Fusion Stew" or "Creamy Spiced Lentil Stew" or "Damn Tasty Mixed-Up Lentil Stew."

Here's what I used:
olive oil
onion
garlic
cardamom pods
whole peppercorns
whole cloves
a bay leaf
ground cinnamon
Garam Masala
chili flakes
tomatoes (diced, out of a can)
chopped fresh spinach
cooked lentils
plain yogurt (I had a little dairy yogurt left, but I bet soy would work fine)
salt
whole-wheat couscous

It is creamy, rich, delicious, and fragrant. Next time I will use all ground spices -- finding the whole peppercorns while eating the stew is a bit unpleasant. (Ha!)

No comments: