Monday, September 21, 2009

i so sick.

Hey, folks -- sorry for the extreme delay in posting and general lack of food photography here this past week! I, of course, have a lame excuse -- after a whirlwind weekend including hiking, biking, eating out THREE times, a "cleansing" juice from the co-op while shopping, and movie theater popcorn, (which I blame fully for the following,) I am mighty sick today -- like, up half the night in the bathroom sick. Ugh. Fortunately, I've been keeping food down just fine since the sun came up, and I'll be back to work tomorrow.

I do, however, have a backlog of some eats and treats that I discovered on my camera! Woo! Some food to show you!

A wonderful, summery dinner:
example
I made Melody's All-American Burgers, stuck them in a bun with some Vegenaise, lettuce, heirloom tomato, and sliced avocado, and served oven-roasted sweet corn and sweet potato fries on the side. If I had an appetite right now, I'd be wishing I had one of these! In my humble opinion, these are the BEST VEGGIE BURGERS I've ever had, storebought or homemade. Thanks, Mel, for sharing your recipe!

Anybody else gorging themselves on heirloom tomatoes lately?
example
Homemade pizza topped with caramelized onions, heirloom tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, olives, and a sprinkling of Italian seasoning. YUM. Oh, by the way -- those beets on that salad? They are from my dad's garden -- thanks, Dad!

Cake-n-Ice-Cream:
example
The cake is called "Reduced-Guilt Chocolate Brownie Cake," and I believe the recipe came from Nava Atlas. A cinch to prepare, moist, and delicious! I'm deeply saddened that we lost THREE-QUARTERS of this cake to the "fuzz," though. I'll make room in the fridge next time!

Applesauce-making:
example
Yes, I confess . . . I am the biggest dork . . . EVER. Alton Brown would shun me for owning this unitasker, but hey, I live in MN, and when it's apple season, I don't want to spend hours over the garbage can with a peeler! So there. Chunky, slightly sweet, slightly cinnamony applesauce came in handy today with my touchy tummy.

Last, but not least, MORE heirlooms:
example
But really, what else does one need this time of year???

4 comments:

Vic Robinson said...

I need that apple core-er! That rocks! Looks so old-school. Get better soon!

The Voracious Vegan said...

That veggie burger looks INTENSE! I am ALWAYS up for a good burger so thanks for linking to the recipe, I will have to give it a try. Lovely blog!

Crystal said...

I'm sorry you're sick. It's never fun, but sounds like at least you've turned the corner.

I am laughing at your unitasker! However, I won't be laughing as I peel multiple pounds of apples in the near future. I will then be jealous. But, for now...I laugh.

aTxVegn said...

So sorry you got sick, and I hope you feel better now.

I LOVE your apple peeler! I think it's a great gadget to own.

I have been enjoying heirloom tomatoes too!