Monday, April 04, 2005

boob tube

I was just thinking about this as I finished my hour yoga practice this evening . . .

Since I had to get rid of cable for financial reasons, I have realized how much TV I watched before, and how little I watch TV now! (Since my reception royally stinks, I pretty much only watch Gilmore Girls.) I think about how I used to spend my days before, and how I spend them now -- yoga, walking, reading, getting stuff DONE! Now, I think there are many wide and varied factors influencing the American Obesity crisis, (added sugar in everything, few people cook, few people exercise, a quick-fix attitude towards everything including weight loss, no fruit or vegetable farms subsidized by the feds, no sidewalks in the suburbs, our auto-dependent transportation system, I could go on all day!) but I think TV plays a large part -- video and computer games, too. Maybe we all could spend less time in front of a screen. (I don't mean to be preachy -- I just feel very strongly about this!)

I am somewhat horrified by the new billboards I see all over the place -- the "groove your body 10 minutes 3 times a day" ones. I think, "that's IT? 30 minutes a DAY?" But then I realize, most Americans have to start somewhere! (I think I pretty much "groove" my body all day long. And I've never been in better shape!)

I hear a good book to read on the subject of healthy eating and living is Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy by Walter Willett. I need to get myself a copy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree. I need to get rid of our TV. It's the two hours of Dawson's Creek & ER (on at the same time) that get me every morning. ;) But I haven't been watching her at the hotel. Yay me!