Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Still a smooth operator

I forgot to mention we made smoothies with the kids today. It was messy, I have chocolate syrup in my hair (we made some that were banana chocolate!), but it was fun. I have also had a smoothie for breakfast nearly every single day since I discovered banana pumpkin smoothies. This is my general recipe:

1 cup vanilla yogurt
1 1/2 cups frozen fruit (banana, blueberry, strawberry, cherry, raspberry, watermelon, or any combo thereof,)
1/3 cup liquid (milk, soy milk, or juice)

Blend until smooth. Makes 2 servings.

Favorite combos: banana blueberry, strawberry-cherry-raspberry, strawberries with OJ, and strawberry watermelon

THEN, if I'm not going to drink them right away, I pour the smoothies into coffee mugs and pop them in the freezer. I take one out of the freezer just before I go to bed and put it in the fridge. Then, in the morning when I'm partially awake and trying to get out the door, I just pull the mug out of the fridge, stir it up a little bit, and it is perfectly thawed -- slushy, not runny, but not frozen solid, either. (You can also thaw them in the micro if you forget to take one out the night before.) I'm not a morning person, so it's nice this breakfast plan requires little to no thought!!!! And, it's healthy, filling, and tasty, which is an added bonus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh, I love the tip about freezing them! I'm going to have to try that one. I love smoothies, but don't like to wash my blender every single day, KWIM? :D

Catherine Weber said...

Easy blender clean-up:

After you pour out your smoothie, fill the blender 1/3 full with water and a tiny squirt of dish soap. Blend until frothy. Dump, take it apart, and rinse.

Squeaky clean, and easy as pie.