Friday, May 22, 2009

food is expensive.

I should rephrase . . . healthy, organic, mostly local food is expensive. Alas! I guess it's cheaper than hefty medical bills, eh?

This week's loot from the co-op:

example

BULK:
locally-roasted, organic, fair-trade coffee
local, organic yellow popcorn

CHEESE:
local queso fresco

FROZEN:
local, organic strawberries

HERBS & SPICES:
local, organic vanilla bean

PACKAGED GROCERY:
organic Greek olive mix
coconut juice w/pulp
organic, lite coconut milk
organic extra-virgin olive oil ($5 off! woo!)
Seventh Generation TP

PRODUCE:
organic bananas
organic avocado
organic limes
organic apricots
organic white peaches
organic green beans
local, organic, white button mushrooms
organic red onion
organic shallots
organic green bell pepper
organic red bell peppers
local, organic red potatoes
local, organic coleslaw mix
organic fuji apples

REFRIGERATED GROCERY:
organic whole-wheat tortillas
organic tofu
non-gmo 5-grain tempeh
local, organic half & half

SUPPLEMENTS:
organic flax oil

~~~~~~~~~~

Holy moly, is flax oil expensive! I bought some to try out a new vinaigrette recipe, and I hope it's as amazing as it's supposed to be! (And I know I probably don't get enough Omega-3s on a regular basis, so a little flax oil every now and then will be a good thing.)

Here's our weekend meal plan:

Friday dinner: Tempeh Nicoise Salads, homemade bread
Friday dessert: strawberry-rhubarb crumble and homemade vanilla ice cream
Saturday breakfast: maybe pancakes again? or we'll just have smoothies or granola
Saturday lunch: pasta w/marinara and side salads
Saturday dinner: tempeh fajitas!
Sunday dinner: "Bare Bones Tofu Curry" from Vegetarian Suppers from Deborah Madison's Kitchen (My new favorite cookbook!)

Since I have to work Sunday AND Monday this weekend, (no three-day weekend for me -- boo hiss,) I'm not sure whether we'll have something fun for dinner Monday night, or just have leftovers. We shall see . . . !

No comments: