Sunday, October 24, 2010

great day, great food

Oh, how I love the weekend! We started our day yesterday with a lovely batch of baked oatmeal:

I find that neither Dan nor I really cares much for regular oatmeal, but we love a baked version! Stuffed with walnuts and dried blueberries, this was a lovely way to wake up on a Saturday morning.

Later, nachos for lunch!

Organic yellow corn tortilla chips topped with taco leftovers from Thursday night -- black beans, peppers and onions, chipotle gouda, salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. MMMMMMMMMMMM!

I decided we needed to have a veggie-packed dinner, to make up for the small serving of veggies at lunch:

Vegetarian pho!!! Yum. I've adapted this recipe, using vegetable broth, tofu, and soy sauce to replace the turkey stock, turkey, and fish sauce, and it is always well-received! (I also choose to serve all of the herbs and green onions on the side, only adding the sliced white onion and bean sprouts to the soup broth.) Dan's brother, Ryan, joined us for dinner, and the three of us managed to take down almost an entire batch! There was lots of sniffling and sweating due to adding too many jalapenos and too much sriracha, but it was soooooo worth it! :)

Dessert was a special request of Dan's:

Caramel custard is one of those dead-easy desserts that never fails to impress the socks off of anyone! Truthfully, I find the hardest part is getting the custards into the oven in the water bath without creating a sloshy, watery mess. I wonder why I don't make this dessert more often? :)

Thankfully, I have a second weekend day ahead of me to enjoy! Woo! What have you been up to this weekend?

1 comment:

radioactivegan said...

Oh, I love pho! Yours looks so great :)