Sunday, May 14, 2006

end-of-weekend blues

I realized I haven't posted all weekend! Here's an update:

~ I made a tofu and veggie stir-fry with brown rice for Michelle and I for dinner on Friday night. I used hoisin sauce again, and added a little extra garlic, ginger, and chili flakes this time. I made chocolate pudding cake for dessert, too! (The kind that makes its own hot fudge sauce in the bottom of the pan while it bakes.) I sent Michelle home with the "Sack It!" section from my cookbook to read and test out, and I will try to get recipes out to those that volunteered soon!

~ Saturday, I took Christine to the airport and then spent the day with my friend Chelsea and her daughters Olivia and Norah. It was great to see Chels and meet Norah, and I had SO MUCH FUN playing with Olivia! She's 18 months old, and just a ham. We danced, wrestled, dumped toys out of buckets and filled them back up again, sang songs, and looked at books. I feel kind of bad because I didn't spend much actual time with Chelsea, but I think it all turned out fine in the end! Jenny, a friend of Chelsea's, also came over and brought yummy lunch and it was good to see her, too. (Thanks again, Jenny my blog lurker!)

~ Saturday night I WORKED ON MY COOKBOOK! I edited and added a few recipes to the dinner section, and added more recipes to the dessert section, too. That was fun. :) I also baked a loaf of bread and a peach-strawberry crisp. Carbtastic!

~ Today, I did almost nothing, other than drink tea, eat toast (and some other stuff,) watch movies, and go for a walk around Lake of the Isles. (Thanks for coming with me, Ann!) I feel kind of crummy -- low-energy, tired, a bit achy. I don't know whether I'm just overtired or actually coming down with something, but I decided to lay low today. I watched "Angela's Ashes," "Zelary," and "Walk the Line." All three were wonderful, and a great way to spend a rainy day! (I'm addicted to Netflix, if I didn't mention that already!)

Now, I'm a little sad that the weekend is over. I have to steel myself for the next two weeks -- they prove to be beyond busy. I apologize in advance for infrequent posting, because I will be working like mad, seeing friends' bands play (and going to a CD release show!), and be out of town for Memorial Day weekend. I will attempt to post any interesting kitchen happenings, however! (I took a bunch of stuff out of the freezer for this week, though, so there probably won't be much!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm dying to hear more about this chocolate pudding cake! Please...tell me more! Where can I find the recipe?

Harmonia said...

Hi! In answer to your question about the papaya...They are partially dehyrated spears. They are full of flavor but I can only eat them in moderation because they are so sweet! Pretty tasty tough. I am embarrassed to say I haven't tried them fresh due to lack of them in my area...even at the stores!

Catherine Weber said...

Megan, the recipe I used can be found here: http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=35387 (I tried to give you an html link, but blogger didn't like it! Oh well.) I cut the recipe in half and made it in a loaf pan, and I used soy milk instead of dairy milk. This is the first vegan dessert I made, years and years ago, when I had a vegan coworker and took dessert to a potluck. It's easy (you mix the cake right in the pan!) and very impressive. :)

Hey Harmonia! I like dried papaya, too, and I agree -- they are SUPER sweet.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Catherine!

Eat Peace Please said...

Carbtastic, that's hilarious!

As for Netflix, I love it too.

Catherine Weber said...

Leslie, do you use the "friends" option on Netflix? We could be movie friends!

Megan, you're welcome! It's really fun the first time you make it, because you put it in the oven and think, "this looks awful, there's NO WAY this will turn into dessert!" and then when you take it out . . . fabulous! Yum. I highly recommend setting the pan directly in your oven and then pouring in the required amount of water, because I usually slop cocoa-infused water all over the floor while transferring it into the oven otherwise.