Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Midweek Munchies

example

Question of the week: if you could cook with one famous chef, (dead or alive,) who would it be and why?

Here's my shopping (very little produce since I'm headed out of town this weekend, but I wanted to stock up on the "regular" stuff so next week wasn't such a shock!):

BREAD
1 loaf Great Harvest Bread Co. Country Wheat Bread

BULK
just under a pound of Peace Coffee Sumatra City blend (Fair Trade and organic)
just under three pounds of organic natural granulated sugar
organic flame raisins
sulphured dried apricots
dried cherries

FROZEN
1 box mint chocolate chip Tofutti Cuties
10 ounces organic blueberries
10 ounces organic strawberries
10 ounces organic raspberries
10 ounces organic peaches
10 ounces organic in-pod edamame
LightLife faux breakfast sausage

PACKAGED GROCERY
15 oz organic chickpeas
15 oz organic black beans
15 oz organic cannellini beans
8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
16 ounces honey (from Canon Falls, MN! I love buying local products!)
Barbara's Bakery Shredded Spoonfuls cereal
Ka-Me Hoisin sauce
Westbrae naturals vegetarian fruit-sweetened ketchup
East Wind smooth peanut butter with salt
Sunbutter
Mori-Nu soft silken tofu
4-pack Seventh Generation TP
Seventh Generation lavender dish soap
Pet Promise cat food

PERSONAL CARE
Tom's of Maine peppermint gel toothpaste
Tom's of Maine lavender deodorant (something to try . . . anyone have any opinions about this product?)
Burt's Bees Garden Tomato toner
4-pack Preserve razors (the handles are recyclable . . . but #5 plastic, which I don't believe we can recycle 'round here! Bummer. At least there's less packaging than the Venus ones I've been using!)

PRODUCE
three organic bananas
two organic valencia oranges
one organic Asian pear

REFRIGERATED GROCERY
12 ounce tub Earth Balance whipped organic buttery spread (switching to this kind for the summer -- countertop margarine gets melty!)
16 ounces Earth Balance buttery sticks (been doing a lot of baking lately and ran out!)
sprouted corn tortillas
House organic firm tofu
Organic Valley plain soymilk
Holy Land Deli hummus (8 ounces)

I have to talk with someone at my co-op and ask them to please start stocking Bionaturae brand whole wheat fettuccine! They never have it. :(

Visit Harmonia for more info on Midweek Munchies.

10 comments:

Dori said...

I just saw your dried fruits and making your own TRAIL MIX came to mind. How about granola? I add TVP granules to my granola which adds protein. Mixtures called GORP which means a mixture of whatever yummy things you can think to mix together, maybe even add some candy coated chocolate candies, I have purchased some called sundrop or sunsprire brand that are vegan before.

Catherine Weber said...

Thanks, Dori! I have made my own granola before, and love it. :) I think keeping a bag of nuts and fruits at their house might not be a bad idea . . . I truly need grab-and-go food.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

I'd cook with Dreena because I'm so into her cookbook right now, plus I think she'd be fun to hang-out with in the kitchen! I also would like to cook with James Beard, just because I learned lots about him recently while staying in his beach home, but he was a "big" meat eater, so yuck on that. Who would you cook with? My favorite deodorent is by Desert Essence, Tom's didn't do it for me. Love Burt's stuff - is the toner for your face?

Emily said...

I'd definitely cook with Alton Brown, but he'd have to cook some tofu or tempeh.

Catherine Weber said...

Vicki, thanks for the deodorant info. Yes, the toner's for my face -- I use their face soap too, but a Mary Kay moisturizer. Seems to be the combination that is working at the moment. I love Burt's hand lotions and creams, and of course lip balm, too!

I still say I'd love to cook with Alton Brown -- even though he's an omnivore, he does eat tofu, too! I think it would be hilarious, and he'd let me know everything I was doing wrong, too. Julia Child, too -- she would have been great! Come to think of it, those two in the kitchen together . . . we'd never actually get to eat anything because food would be flying everywhere and there would be debates about science, but that's okay!

And Dori, I packed up some nuts and dried fruits in ziploc baggies to take to work today! Less waste this way, too, since I reuse the baggies. Thanks for all of your great ideas!

Anonymous said...

I would cook with Lagusta...(don't know her last name) but she has a website Lagustasluscious.com. I like her philosophy and attitude towards food and it looks like her food is probably amazing!

Crystal said...

Hmmm...I'd cook with Ina Garten, but it would have to be in her house because that is absolutely hands down my dream house! I get chills just thinking about it. Plus, she and her husband have a cute love story and have been together forever (like Ryan and I). *swoon*

You can send those Preserve razors back to Preserve themselves. They send you out a package and you send it back! Let me get the info for you.

-Crystal

Catherine Weber said...

Stupid me! I already have a Preserve toothbrush, and I picked up a postage-paid envelope at the co-op when I bought the toothbrush. I'm all set! (Sheesh.) Thanks for the email, Crystal!

Harmonia said...

I have a ton of comments!

Apricots...I miss them...can't find any good ones lately...I like them dehydrated as well!

I like most Light Life Products!!! Just bought Tofu Pups for the Holiday Weekend...for camping!!!

Your frozen items are very impressive!

Fruit sweetedned Ketchup? I will have to look into that! Sounds interesting!

What is sunbutter? Never heard of it!

Hummus? LOVE IT! Ever since I started making my own...I haven't bought - store bought. Have you made your own!? it's super easy...if you have a blender.

:)

Catherine Weber said...

Harmonia, I do usually make my own hummus, but my last batch of homemade hummus went fuzzy on me, so I decided to buy some store-bought hummus in a much smaller quantity. :) It's made by a local grocer/restaurant called "Holy Land," and is pretty stinking tasty. Yum, yum, yum. If I wasn't still full of tofu pad thai, I'd go eat some hummus right now!

Sunbutter is made out of: "sunflower seed, dehydrated cane juice, salt, and natural mixed tocopherols to preserve freshness." I like it a lot -- slightly less intense than natural peanut butter, but it tastes like sunflower seeds, of course. Creamy and smooth, it makes a smashing piece of toast.

I'm excited to try the lightlife soy sausage. I really don't want to drive all the way down to whole foods just for soy sausage! (LightLife was the only vegan brand of soy sausage my co-op carried, too.)

I haven't opened the ketchup yet -- when I do, I'll let you know how it is!

I wanted lots of frozen fruit on hand for quick smoothies -- now that it's FINALLY warm here!