Monday, June 05, 2006

massive amounts of tabouli

This coming Wednesday night, I have our end-of-year church choir potluck to attend. (Geek, geek, geek . . . am I an old lady? Nope. But I enjoy the folks I sing with, and have lots of fun with them!) Since I grew royally sick of washing dishes earlier this evening, I decided to take a break and make the tabouli I planned on taking with me. After Leslie test-drove the recipe for me, I added slightly less lemon juice and a lot more more mint, and also a can of chickpeas. (I also made a double batch.) I didn't have enough bulgur for an entire double-batch, so I used half bulgur and half quinoa. I just sampled it, and it's darn tasty. I love tabouli.

One funny disaster from the cooking process -- aparently I've never rinsed my quinoa before cooking before, because when I rinsed it this time, it all came crashing through the holes in my colander! Bah. I thought I had some cheesecloth around somewhere, which I couldn't find, so I ended up using a dishtowel to line it. There are little uncooked quinoa pellets EVERYWHERE in my kitchen! Sheesh.

I chose to make tabouli for the potluck for a variety of reasons: it's a good outdoor/summer food (not too messy and nice and light,) lots of people like tabouli, and it's pretty much a complete meal, so if there's not much else I can eat, I can fill up on the dish that I brought, which I know is vegan and healthy.

Man, though, a double batch . . . that's a LOT of chopping. Parsley, mint, cucumber, tomato, green onion, garlic . . . thought I'd never get done! It took over an hour to make, but now it's done. ;-) Off to do one more sinkful of dishes before I head to bed!

P.S. -- I have a buyer for my air conditioner already! It only took one day!

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Lot's of chopping, I'm sure. Great dish to bring - was it a hit? Either way, I'm sure you'll get to eat a bunch of it.

Good job on Craigslist - we are going to try to sell our kitchen table on there (we never eat at it anyway). We'll see how it goes.

-Crystal

Eat Peace Please said...

You could have pulsed the veggies in a food processor (if you have one) to make it quicker. That sounds really good what you did with it, less citrus, more mint and other surprises like quinoa and chickpeas! Yeah!

Catherine Weber said...

Crystal, I'll let you know tomorrow how it goes over!

Leslie, no food processor over here. I once used my mini-prep for the green onions, and boy, when the pieces were that small, it was overly oniony. So I just stick to my knife. :)

funwithyourfood said...

Haha the first time I opened a box of quinoa I mis-judged how my force was require and *BOOM* all over the kitchen. Like a Quinoa fireworks show haha