This coming Wednesday night, I have our end-of-year church choir potluck to attend. (Geek, geek, geek . . . am I an old lady? Nope. But I enjoy the folks I sing with, and have lots of fun with them!) Since I grew royally sick of washing dishes earlier this evening, I decided to take a break and make the tabouli I planned on taking with me. After Leslie test-drove the recipe for me, I added slightly less lemon juice and a lot more more mint, and also a can of chickpeas. (I also made a double batch.) I didn't have enough bulgur for an entire double-batch, so I used half bulgur and half quinoa. I just sampled it, and it's darn tasty. I love tabouli.
One funny disaster from the cooking process -- aparently I've never rinsed my quinoa before cooking before, because when I rinsed it this time, it all came crashing through the holes in my colander! Bah. I thought I had some cheesecloth around somewhere, which I couldn't find, so I ended up using a dishtowel to line it. There are little uncooked quinoa pellets EVERYWHERE in my kitchen! Sheesh.
I chose to make tabouli for the potluck for a variety of reasons: it's a good outdoor/summer food (not too messy and nice and light,) lots of people like tabouli, and it's pretty much a complete meal, so if there's not much else I can eat, I can fill up on the dish that I brought, which I know is vegan and healthy.
Man, though, a double batch . . . that's a LOT of chopping. Parsley, mint, cucumber, tomato, green onion, garlic . . . thought I'd never get done! It took over an hour to make, but now it's done. ;-) Off to do one more sinkful of dishes before I head to bed!
P.S. -- I have a buyer for my air conditioner already! It only took one day!