Tuesday, June 27, 2006

RENEGADE

I was munching away at my supper tonight (spinach salad with orange bell pepper and almonds, and some chips and guac,) when I found a renegade crab grass strand in with my salad.

I actually enjoyed this finding. Why? Because I know my spinach was growing in a field somewhere, free and happy, with real dirt and crabgrass and maybe a few weeds and insects, to boot. It always kind of freaks me out when you get conventional greens -- they seem "too clean" to me.

The weirdest thing is conventional mushrooms -- they are WAY too clean. Dude -- mushrooms are supposed to be dirty!

Give me a few renegades any day, if that means my food's the real thing!

6 comments:

Eat Peace Please said...

Right on.

Freedom said...

Absolutely! I so agree with the mushrooms - I mean, come one! They're a fungus. How can fungus not be dirty? That's why they've got B12 in them.
By the way, yummy salad!

Anonymous said...

agreed!

Catherine Weber said...

Freedom, my salad was surprisingly yummy! Those veggies and nuts, plus balsamic vinegar and a little extra virgin olive oil was all. Simple, really amazingly fast, and good. I think I might have to try some roasted almonds using balsamic vinegar as a seasoning -- I kept "wiping the plate clean" using the almonds! Yum.

funwithyourfood said...

: )

Sing it sister

Dori said...

A salad and a song, what happy days.
We got the email. Melissa was home on Saturday, but went back to camp on Sunday afternoon for a week. Then she'll be home all of July and ready to cook again. Cook and drivers ed, what happy days.