Saturday, April 04, 2009

food from today!

I woke up ridiculously early this morning, (like, before 7 AM) and couldn't get back to sleep, so I finally gave up on sleeping in around 8:00, got up, and got busy in my kitchen!

I started the morning by doing all of the dishes from last night, (WHY do I think it's a good idea to leave the dishes until the morning???), cooking up a big batch of chickpeas for the freezer, (9 cups total!), and baking off a quick double-batch of granola -- I used pumpkin and sunflower seeds this time to switch things up a bit. Yum!

While I had the oven on, I whipped up a batch of Raspberry-Almond Scones (based on the basic Scone recipe from Vegan with a Vengeance,) and we enjoyed them with the rest of brunch:
Frittata experiment again this week, made with onion, mushroom, spinach, artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, and goat cheese, with a side of fresh pineapple, too. I referred to this week's brunch as "fancy hotel brunch." :)

Dan and I had a busy afternoon of walking, enjoying the conservatory at Como Park in St. Paul, and a few errands. Consequently, when we arrived back at my place, we were both HUNGRY. So, we decided to have dessert first:
Rootbeer floats, made with Virgil's root beer and Cedar Summit Farms vanilla ice cream (local!) This was a fantastic treat, even though it was gloomy, cold, and grey outside all day long!

(Pardon that "Elmo's World" DVD underneath in that photo -- the kids I teach get a special treat movie on Fridays, and they love new movies from the library!)

Then, I made dinner:
Jerk Tofu, (from the PPK), "Caribbean Coconut Rice," and "Japanese Asparagus Dengaku" (both from the most recent issue of Vegetarian Times.) This dinner was a winner in both speed of preparation and taste, but I must admit the coconut rice was the home run! The rice was so rich and delicious, and made a perfect pair to the spicy, seasoned tofu. I can't wait for leftovers in my lunch this week!

My friend Ashley is coming over tomorrow afternoon for her granola-making lesson, so hopefully she'll be a great sport and let you all see what she comes up with!


Sharon said...

Oh wow, super tasty! That float looks yummy!

Courtney said...

That "fancy hotel brunch" looks so delicious! Mushrooms, spinach, artichokes, and pineapple...were you *trying* to include most of my favorite foods in your meal?! We need to do a brunch pot-luck sometime soon...and by pot-luck I mean you cook our brunch :o) Just kidding--I'll bring something!


Vegan On Stage said...

I love root beer floats!!!!