Monday, April 27, 2009

Daring Bakers Challenge -- cheesecake!

The April 2009 challenge is hosted by Jenny from Jenny Bakes. She has chosen Abbey's Infamous Cheesecake as the challenge.

My spin on the challenge recipe was a slightly lightened lemon-blueberry cheesecake:


I was considerably creative with this month's challenge! I'm glad we had the opportunity to think "outside the box" (springform pan?)

~ I chose to lighten the recipe by using all Neufchatel cheese in place of the full-fat cream cheese, and half-and-half instead of the heavy cream

~ I chose a shortbread crust (from Joy of Cooking) instead of a graham cracker crust

~ I added the zest of one lemon to the cheesecake batter (I would zest two lemons and add more juice next time for more lemony flavor)

~ I chose to forego the waterbath method, and followed the baking instructions for the New York Style Cheesecake recipe in Joy of Cooking (I tend to prefer a more dense, almost cakelike cheesecake, and this resulted in fantastic texture!)

~ I topped the baked cheesecake with 2 cups frozen blueberries cooked with 1/4 cup sugar for 10 minutes

Delicious, despite the overly-browned crust. I think I need a new springform pan . . . drat. Perhaps I'll buy one of those watertight Kaisers, and try the bain marie next time?


Sharon said...

Ahhhh, yum yum!

Jo said...

Great job on your challenge and the cheesecake looks really delicious.

kk said...

ooh, your cheesecake looks delicious. I will have to try to bake the cheesecake without the water bath next time, as I like the dense texture too. great job! =P

Ricki said...

Looks just beautiful! Mmmm--love cheesecake!

aTxVegn said...

Lovely. I love the lemon and blueberry combination.

ice tea: sugar high said...

lemon and blueberry sounds lovely! Great job on this month's challenge

Chantal said...

that blueberry topping looks to die for

Lauren said...

Mmm, your cheesecake looks amazing!! I love the blueberry topping =D

Melomeals: Vegan for $3.33 a Day said...

Yum! it looks delicious!

Jenny said...

I love your version. Thanks for being a part of the April Daring Baker's Challenge!

Jenny of JennyBakes