Thursday, February 19, 2009

keepin' track

It's never fun when you go to the grocery store and have to add up as you go along . . . but I managed to come out of the store UNDER budget tonight! (I have roughly $2.50 left in my budget for the month, but Dan will help out picking up a few things for next week; lucky me!) Here's the under-budget loot:

example

BULK:
local, organic, coarse cornmeal/polenta
locally-roasted, organic, fair-trade coffee
TVP

CHEESE:
local, organic, Neufchatel
local part-skim mozzarella

FROZEN:
local, organic blueberries
local, organic spinach

HERBS & SPICES:
local, organic garlic powder
local, orgnanic onion powder

PACKAGED GROCERY:
canola oil
artichoke heart quarters
organic dijon mustard
organic extra-virgin olive oil
2 rolls Seventh Generation TP

PRODUCE:
organic celery
organic bananas
organic lemon
organic Minneolas
organic parsley
local, organic, white button mushrooms
organic sugar snap peas
local hydroponic lettuce
organic slicing tomatoes
organic d'anjou pears
organic carrots
organic cherry tomatoes

REFRIGERATED GROCERY:
organic superfirm tofu
Earth Balance buttery sticks
local light sour cream

I did have to make a few budget-friendly choices, (such as conventional vs. organic canola oil, waiting to stock up on a couple of staples, etc.,) but I was able to pick up everything on my list, save for one non-necessary personal care item. Woot!

And as an added bonus, a whopping 35% of my purchase was local this week! Not bad for February in MN, eh? (I aim for 25% local on average.)

~~~~~~~~~~

I have been feeling like I've had a less-than-healthy week in terms of my food consumption, (and treat consumption!), so I decided to make a change for the better this evening:
example
Lettuce, cucumber, artichoke hearts, the last leftover falafel patty, cherry tomatoes, kalamata olives, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. YUMMERS. I'm feeling healthier already!

5 comments:

Melina and Denise said...

Now I'm hungry...

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

ive been feeling the same way!
I had a salad today thats almost an exact replica of yours!!!

i LOVE LOVE artichoke hearts :)

Anonymous said...

Amazing as always! I really have to stop looking at your blog when I'm hungry.

aTxVegn said...

Falafel salad - yum!

Sharon said...

I love your hauls. I wish I lived in the same house as you! hahah!