Thursday, February 26, 2009

oblong pizza

example
Dan and I enjoyed a celebratory dinner of homemade pizza and salad this evening, since he is officially certified to teach English as a foreign language! Woo Dan! Since I don't have a pizza peel and use a large cutting board to scoot pizza in and out of the oven, I have to make a sort of ovalish pizza -- the largest pizza I can make that will still fit on my cutting board! Oddly-shaped or not, this was quite delicious.

I was rather proud of myself with this one, too -- this was a pizza largely composed of leftovers! I always have some sort of bread dough going in the fridge these days, (this time, a multigrain made with a blend of gold 'n' white, whole-wheat bread, rye, oat, and barley flours -- using up odds and ends,) and I topped the pizza with a little of this and a little of that . . . leftover jarred marinara, leftover mozzarella and artichokes from the dip I made last weekend, leftover red onion from falafel toppings, leftover basil from tomato soup-making, olives and sun-dried tomatoes which always seem to be in my fridge, a healthy shower of parmesan, and the last few remaining eggplant pickles from New Year's Eve! I also used a few mushrooms, which were actually "new." A winning combination both in taste and lack of waste!

The best part? Leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

9 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow, great job with the pizza! Love it!

Tea With Fairytales said...

Great use of leftovers, and it looks really yummy, too! I'm a young starving artist; will you cook for me, please? T_T


<3

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

scrumptious!!

DT ~ RDH said...

That looks delicious! I've always thought that the best cooks are those that can take what's available and make something great!

veggievixen said...

looks so good!

pizza leftovers are the best :)

Anonymous said...

That pizza looks absolutely scrumptious!

J said...

I like the oblong shape, it gives it character and makes it stand apart from plain old round pizzas. And wahoo for this being a "using up what we got meal", I love those and oddly, sometimes they end up being just as good if not better than a meal you prepare deliberately.

MeloMeals said...

omg, that looks soooo delicious!

I'm excited about the yoga challenge too! I NEED to get my but in gear. I ordered a workout video that should be here soon. (until then I'll do the standing Bikram poses which takes around 30 minutes)..

Anonymous said...

This looks so good right now!
Congrats do Dan! That's one of the things I do here in France: I teach EFL and FFL. So fun!