Monday, February 02, 2009

weekend eats, crap news.

Meals this past weekend were pretty simple -- leftovers, cupboard staples, beans and rice, etc. While tasty and healthy, they weren't very "bloggable!" I did get a few photos, though:

Breakfast Saturday morning:
example
I decided to make the overnight waffles from Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe. I didn't have any eggs on hand, so decided to use a flax egg. I also made several substitutions in the wholegrain flour department . . . I think my many substitutions ruined the waffles a little bit. They were still very tasty, but didn't brown at all (even after TEN MINUTES in the waffle iron!) and didn't rise very much. Grr. Now I know for next time. Homemade veggie breakfast sausage links on the side. (I can't believe I had everything on hand to make these -- AND, they used up the leftover tofu I had sitting around!)

Dinner Saturday night:
example
Spaghetti with jarred marinara and parmesan, and a salad topped with beets, goat cheese, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. I think this is one of my top three favorite salads of all time! The other two would be greens with apples, fennel, walnuts, and bleu cheese, and insalata caprese, of course. :) (I think I like salads with cheese!) What are your favorite salad combinations?

~~~~~~~~~~

And . . . the crap news. I did my income taxes yesterday, and I have to PAY IN. (I didn't even make that much money at my second job!! Grr.) So much for my looking forward to a tax return! BOOOOO HISSSSSSSS.

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

STELLAR waffles and pasta!!

Anonymous said...

Paying in is just *wrong*. Evil government. At least you had some yummy food...

Anonymous said...

Those waffles certainly LOOK amazing and perfect...I am sorry you were not entirely pleased with them, though. And homemade sausage?! I'd say that is definitely a blog-worthy meal!

Courtney

Sharon said...

Wha? I think your waffles turned out great! Super tasty looking!

Anonymous said...

Bummer about the taxes...

Anna said...

oh no! Sorry to hear the news about your taxes, Catherine!