Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Indonesian Sweet Potato and Cabbage Soup

I made "Indonesian Sweet Potato and Cabbage Soup," from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers, for our supper tonight:

Even though I know very little about Indonesian food, (except that it is definitely fusion cooking, with all of the different ethnic groups that live there,) I took one look at this recipe and knew that I was going to have to make it pretty soon. At first glance, it looked, well, "weird." Tomatoes? Sweet Potatoes? Peanut Butter? Cabbage? That last one was the one that really got me . . . but the more I thought about it, the more it all sounded . . . really, really good. And let me tell you, it surpassed all of my expectations! This soup is rich, spicy, slightly sweet, salty, containing soft and crunchy and creamy textures, simple to prepare, and on the table in about 40 minutes. This is going on the list of "Asian staples" at our house, along with Thai coconut soup, tofu curry, rice and dal, pad Thai, pho, hot pot, and a few other items. Hm. Come to think of it, maybe I just really like Asian soups!?!? (And pad Thai.) Yum.

Off to enjoy a slice of raspberry pie for dessert! Mmmmmmmmm!

1 comment:

aimee said...

That looks lovely. I will have to make this sometime in the future. Thank you for sharing:)