Saturday, September 18, 2010

last hurrah

I knew we had a busy morning planned today, so I decided to whip up a couple of breakfast burritos to keep us fueled for a long time!

Mmmmmmmmmmm . . . I SO want another burrito RIGHT NOW! Whole wheat tortilla, refried beans, hashbrowns, eggs, salsa, queso fresco, and sour cream. Yummers! I ate this at about 9:30 this morning, and wasn't hungry for lunch until 2:30! Whoa!

Dan and I hit up the Farmer's Market right after breakfast, just in time to catch Liz before she started her canning demo! Yay Liz! It was great to finally meet in person, and I enjoyed her presentation.

We quickly completed our shopping after meeting Liz, which meant we missed the first bit of her presentation. After we sat down to listen for a while, Dan leaned over to me and said, "what is she making?" I replied, "dilly beans!" Dan then said, "oh! I kind of like those . . . " He's as subtle as a fire truck, eh? :) I sent him off with five bucks, and he came back with grean beans, dill, and two bucks change. :)

Even though I don't can, I CAN make a decent refrigerator dilly bean:

We'll have to give these at least a week before digging in -- I bet they'll taste that much better due to anticipation, right?

I named tonight's dinner "Last Hurrah Curry" --

I sense that the Farmer's Market is winding down -- the tomatoes that were available were mostly pretty underripe, the summer squash and zucchini were tiny, almost no cucumbers left, meager lettuce and spinach, etc. The end of the summer is indeed bittersweet -- I look forward immensely to the cooler temperatures of fall, but will miss the beautiful produce I've been able to collect every week! Tonight's curry contained a little of everything -- a "last hurrah" to summer! Summer squash, zucchini, red bell pepper, grean beans, butternut squash, kohlrabi, eggplant, ginger, garlic, tofu, coconut milk, soy sauce, curry paste, and a squirt of agave combined to make one glorious, end-of-summer meal.

To welcome fall, I'm headed to the apple orchard tomorrow! Wahoo!

No comments: