Sunday, April 02, 2006

cupcake heaven.

I have died and gone to cupcake heaven. I have been craving (i.e., dreaming about) really great dessert for weeks now, and have not satisfied my craving. Until today. I veganized and wholegrained a Betty Crocker yellow cake recipe, with some other changes, too.

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Beat 1/4 cup Earth Balance buttery sticks on low for 30 seconds, or until fluffy. Beat in 10 tablespoons of natural granulated sugar. Slowly beat in 10 tablespoons of soy milk, 6 tablespoons of plain soy yogurt, and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.
3. Slowly beat in 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder, and 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of whole wheat pastry flour. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds, then on high speed for 3 minutes. Fold in 1/2 cup flaked coconut.
4. Lightly grease 10 muffin pan wells and divide the batter evenly among them. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool in pan 5 minutes, then on wire rack until completely cooled.
5. Warm 1/3 cup plain soy milk over low heat until it is steaming. Whisk in 3/4 cup dark/semisweet chocolate chips, until the ganache is smooth. Top each cupcake with about a tablespoon (or a little more) of the ganache, and an extra sprinkle of coconut.

I highly recommend waiting until the ganache is set (very tought to do) before you sample one . . . otherwise, you might drip ganache all over the kitchen floor, like I did!

8 comments:

Eat Peace Please said...

Hmph, I've gotten (is gotten a word?) those Duncan Hines back in my pre-processed days and all I had to do was add some water and egg substitute. When baking I always use flax seeds for eggs. Your's sounds good with the yogurt and such but you could probably just add oil and flax. Do you have a camera?

Catherine Weber said...

I don't have a camera . . . I wish I did! I also dial-up, so it would take me an eternity to upload photos, though. Double bummer!

Eat Peace Please said...

You DIAL-UP!?!? You are crazy!!! I can't believe you have the patience to visit *my* bigass-photo-filled page.

You must be the most patient woman... ever.

Harmonia said...

I'm still oven-less! EK!

There's a new Midweek Munchies Code up on my blog now - check it out!

Dreena said...

Those sound SO good, Catherine... you DO need a camera! :)

Catherine Weber said...

Ah well . . . cameras are expensive, and we teachers are poor. I've been itching after a digital for AGES, though!

And Leslie, I do wish I had high speed internet, but dial-up is also cheap. I usually have something else in front of me to do while I wait for pages to load! (And sometimes I read the words and stop the pictures from loading.) :) Must be creative on a budget!

Eat Peace Please said...

Around here dial up is becoming more expensive (huh?) than high-speed. We have Cox. I'm glad you have something to read in the meantime, I still think you are just filled with patience (or a ton of other stuff to do like your newest post).

Catherine Weber said...

I currently dial up through Earthlink, and it's only ten bucks a month. Score!