Thursday, April 20, 2006

dinner and shoes!

I knew I was going to be cooking up a storm tonight, so I brought the camera home, just for you all! I made a peanut-coconut tofu stir-fry type thing. It's pretty stinkin' tasty. I pressed and cubed half a block of tofu, and then marinaded it in a sauce I made from red curry paste, toasted sesame oil, rice vinegar, crunchy peanut butter, lower-sodium tamari, minced cilantro, minced ginger, minced garlic, the juice of 1 small lime, and coconut milk. I then started a pot of soba noodles, and prepped my veggies.

Here are the veggies and sauce, ready and waiting:
example

Here's the tofu, which I fished out of the sauce with my hands, hangin' out with some sliced onion (and the soba noodles, cooked and waiting on the back burner):
example

The rest of the veggies join the party (red pepper, broccoli, and a few mushrooms):
example

After stirring in the sauce and soba noodles, I plated, adding sesame seeds and a few raw peanuts as garnish:
example

AND, I wanted to model my new Earth Shoes for you all. Aren't they just darling? (My Chuck Taylors finally died. Even though I plan on wearing them to work every now and then, they are not fit to be worn out in public on a regular basis. I also lost my comfortable but not cute New Balances to the kitty potty disaster earlier this week. The Earth Shoes will hopefully serve a dual purpose -- hip, comfy walking/standing shoe. When you stand around a club for four plus hours listening to bands, you have to have comfy shoes, but I also want my shoes to look cute.)
example
I was a little worried about the "negative heel," which I read and heard takes a little getting used to. However, once you are used to it, it is supposed to significantly reduce strain on your lower back, by forcing you to use your core muscles while walking! Isn't that cool? I sometimes have lower back soreness, (especially after long walks or long periods on my feet,) so I'm very excited about this feature.

Tomorrow is Friday, the weather is gorgeous, (although we got hailed on this afternoon while hiking over to the farm to see the newborn lambs!), and I have a full belly. Off to fill out paperwork for my new job!

8 comments:

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

I HAVE THOSE SHOES. Love them, but I wore them nonstop for a month, and now they look like I've had them for much longer.

Catherine Weber said...

Awesome! I'm glad they are comfy enough to wear every day for a month! I've had them less than a day, and I already think I'm addicted. :)

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

You did cook up a storm, and put your camera to work too. Yummy looking food, and Cute shoes. Interesting about the inverted heel. ahhh, baby lambs not much more adorable.

Emily said...

Looks yummy! I also really like your pan. In fact, I covet it.

Anonymous said...

Cute shoes! I am impressed that you found some that are stylish and comfortable. Way to go! :) I have abandoned my quest for the perfect pair of shoes for a while.

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Honestly, I've been so tempted to already order another pair. FYI, the dye from the sides or maybe my socks? bled onto the blue and I freaked out - but with soap and water I was able to get it off. (and yes fancy pants cruelty free soap). : )

Catherine Weber said...

Emily, my pan is from a cheapie Calphalon nonstick set that I bought at Linens N Things, oh, four years or so ago. It's time for new pans, actually -- the nonstick coating is starting to peel off from certain pans. I do love the saute pan, though -- I like the high, square sides. I tend to be a "vigorous" stirrer when stir-frying, and the high sides keep all of the tasty stuff in the pan. (It also has a lid, which comes in handy sometimes!)

Michelle, I'm sad your shoe search has been abandoned. Serously, just sit down at Zappos one night, and start browsing. Or we can go to Heavenly Soles?

Jess, that's good to know about the shoes. Mine haven't bled yet, but I haven't gotten them wet, either. I hope they don't! (Maybe you just got a "lemon" pair?)

Emily said...

oh no! nonstick coming off is definitely not good. I have an aluminum pan that lots very similar without the nonstick and it is pretty good too. I do covet nice, new pots though.