Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Mega Midweek Munchies

Harmonias Midweek Munchies Meme

I really wish that I had the camera this past weekend. Why? So I could take "before" and "after" photos of my fridge and cupboards! It was time for a stock-up trip, and to gather ingredients for several cooking projects, too. Here's what I bought:

BAKERY:
four wholegrain bakery buns (for homemade black bean burgers)
one loaf of Great Harvest Bread Co. Sprouted Wheat bread

BULK:
a little over a pound of organic cannellini beans
a little under half a pound of organic raw walnuts
a little under half a pound of organic, roasted & salted soy nuts
a little under half a pound of unsweetened flaked coconut
about a pound of Equal Exchange whole bean organic breakfast blend coffee
a little over a pound of organic brown Basmati rice

FROZEN:
Cascadian Farms organic in-pod edamame
Cascadian Farms organic apple juice concentrate
SnoPac organic whole strawberries
one Amy's no-dairy black bean enchilada meal

PACKAGED GROCERY:
Bob's Red Mill Masa Harina
14 ounces organic artichoke hearts (packed in water)
12 ounces Fantastic Foods whole wheat couscous
Arrowhead Mills 7-grain hot cereal
Maple Pecan Peace Cereal
12 ounces Mori-Nu soft (I couldn't find organic soft silken tofu! Bah!)
plastic wrap
Oregon Chai "not-so-sweet"
Muir Glen organic mild salsa
Seventh Generation toilet paper
Seventh Generation lavender dish soap
Seventh Generation drawstring kitchen bags
Quilts low-sodium crackers
Bionaturae whole wheat fusilli
Pet Promise kitty food

PERSONAL CARE
Tom's of Maine wintermint toothpaste
Tom's of Maine lavender moisturizing soap
Tom's of Maine peppermint shave cream (again, I had a buy-3 Tom's coupon)
Burt's Bees lip balm

PRODUCE
one bunch organic green leaf lettuce
four organic Braeburn apples
one organic Fuerte avocado
one organic, fair-trade mango
one organic pineapple
two organic lemons
two limes (conventional . . . the only limes in the store.)
organic ginger root
organic fennel (my new veggie of the week!)
organic garlic
two bunches organic kale
one bunch organic cilantro
two organic red onions
one organic red bell pepper
three organic Yukon Gold potatoes
one jalapeno
one medium-sized yam

REFRIGERATED GROCERY:
Tofutti Sour Supreme
Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
14 oz firm water-packed organic tofu
two Organic Valley half-gallons of plain soy milk

AND, just so you know, I ended up using approximately fifteen dollars worth of coupons, thanks to my Blue Sky Guide and the Seventh Generation website, so the trip wasn't quite the wallet-shocker I was expecting.

Whew!

Click here for the Midweek Munchies code
Click here for Harmonia's blog

11 comments:

Dori said...

I'm new to the MM and just wandering to see what's in other people's grcoery cart. I love great harvest breads. Looks like a good load of grocery goods! I like your lunch box shots, I've been thinking about getting me a "schmoo" box also.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

what are you going to do with the fennel? what is fennel?!

Eat Peace Please said...

holy shit.

Eat Peace Please said...

in a good way!!!

Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

Girl, you went shopping!

We saw one of those shopping carts you were talking about on another post at Storables in Edina.
The open one is $40, and the one with canvas bag (with compartments)is $35. It's funny 'coz hubby spotted them and said, "hey, this is the one Catherine was talking about!" We even took a picture with the cellphone for you. You are famous! Check out Storables.

Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

I still go to a Great Harvest sometimes even when they carry the breads at stores- much better fresh from the oven.

Catherine Weber said...

Vicki, I used the fennel in a pasta salad (scroll down for the recipe.) It has a crunchy, slightly sweet licorice-y taste. I LOVE IT!!! You can also roast it with other veggies, so I've heard.

Leslie, I know. But I have to tell you, my kitchen was BARE! And I knew I was going to be home a lot, since I'm cutting way back on eating out.

Kai, thanks for the heads up about the shopping carts! Where is Storables? And I've never been to the Great Harvest Bread Co. store -- it's a bit of a trek from my house, but once I save up 12 labels, I will definitely head over there for my free loaf and just to investigate!

jess (of Get Sconed!) said...

Catherine, I think I want everything on your grocery list!

Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

Catherine, Storables is where "Organized Living" used to be. It's on France Ave, between Parklawn and 76th, closer to 494 than 62. Check it out!

Catherine Weber said...

Jess -- that's funny! So far, the only disappointment has been the pineapple. It tastes like slightly sour water. Boo! I was so excited about the pineapple, because they were nice and small, but next time, I'll buy a large one because I bet they are sweeter. (I'll end up freezing some of it for smoothies, I bet.) And one of the potatoes mysteriously spoiled on me -- turned all green and soft. Otherwise, I'm still cookin' strong!

Kai -- thanks! The next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll have to go shopping!

Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

Haha, Catherine. You live closer to the store than I do!
(I'm just crazy enough to go there just to buy food containers!)