Saturday, April 08, 2006

vegetarian times cookbook and chocolate pudding

I checked out the "Vegetarian Times Complete Cookbook" (1995) from the library several weeks ago, and have just recently began reading through it. Two recipes caught my eye: Barbados Black Bean Cakes with Mango Salsa, and Apple-Fennel Salad with Fusilli. Both were simple to prepare and UNBELIEVABLY TASTY!!!! (I served the black bean cakes like burgers, on wholegrain rolls from my co-op's deli with a bit of Vegenaise and the salsa, with sides of the pasta salad and some sauteed kale.) Here are the recipes:

Apple-Fennel Salad with Fusilli:
Whisk together:
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Toss with the dressing:
8 ounces whole wheat fusilli, cooked according to the package directions and cooled slightly
3 medium apples, cored and diced
1/2 pound fennel, trimmed and sliced thinly
(The recipe then instructs you to serve it on a bed of greens, which would be delicious, but it also works as a side-dish type pasta salad. I love the fennel!)

Barbados Black Bean Cakes with Mango Salsa:
Salsa (stir together):
2 cups peeled, diced mango
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1 serrano pepper, seeded and minced (I used a jalapeno)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Cakes (stir together, coat in breadcrumbs, and pan-fry):
2 15-ounce cans black beans: drained, rinsed, and mashed coarsely
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 egg white, lightly beaten (I used flax and water)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

I have no words to describe the fabulousness of this meal.

I also made the chocolate pudding recipe that someone posted in a comment on harmonia's blog a little while ago (1 box soft Mori-Nu, 1/3 cup maple syrup, 1 tbsp vanilla, and 1 cup melted chocolate chips, pureed in a blender, then chilled.) WOW. Super-tasty, super-rich, super-perfect! (I would describe it as more of a "mousse" than a "pudding," however! Way too fluffy and delicious to be called simply "pudding.")

It's been an exciting food weekend at my house.

My kitchen is an absolute pit, however. I should go clean it . . . !

No comments: