Saturday, April 22, 2006

A weekend of photos, part I . . .

I've had a busy, productive, food-related day! Here goes:

I started my day with a strawberry-coconut-tofu smoothie, and two pieces of toast. Ingredients for the smoothie: half a package of Mori-Nu, about a third of a can of light coconut milk, a cup of frozen strawberries, about a quarter cup of soy milk, and a small squirt of honey. (I forgot the flax!!!! Shoot.) Mighty, mighty tasty. Thick, rich, and almost to big to finish. And increasing the amount of tofu kept me going until lunchtime!
example
Isn't it a gorgeous pink color? A very happy breakfast. :)

Next, I ran a bunch of errands. Returned library books, FedExed my forms for my new job, got cash and quarters so I can do laundry, and had my knives sharpened at Kitchen Window. (See the link over on the right, in "shop 'til you drop.") I also picked up a small birthday gift for Tony -- a neat Japanese fish-shaped sushi dipping dish, that I figured he could use for whatever he felt like! He liked it a lot! The knife sharpening lady also sold me a $20 Wusthoff idiot-proof honer, which will help my knives hold their edge a lot longer, between sharpening trips. Here are my freshly sharpened knives, and new honer!
example
Oliver seems to want to get in on the knife-honing action. Or he just likes to smell new things. Who knows. :)

Then, I headed over to Tony's house to take him out for birthday lunch. He picked a new place -- Peninsula on Eat Street. Authentic Malasian cuisine, neat warehouse-type ambiance, friendly and speedy service, and a five-minute walk from Tony's place. What's not to like? I had Mango Tofu, and I have to tell you, it was TO DIE FOR! Loads of strips of fried tofu and sauteed mango in a ginger-infused sweet and sour sauce, beautifully presented in two hollowed-out mango peels, on a bed of shredded lettuce and fried rice threads. Perfectly gooey steamed white rice on the side. I left the camera at home, so here's a shot of my slightly dilapidated leftovers:
example

I stopped at the Wedge on my way home and picked up a few things for the week -- I have a photo post for Midweek Munchies this week! It was a fun trip -- everyone was dressed up for Earth Day, and it was busy as all getout!

HAPPY EARTH DAY!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'm so making that smoothie! I'll use agave instead of honey...mmm I'm drooling already!

Eat Peace Please said...

I think our kitties are twins! I am posting "my guy" on my post today... he was so cute last night (and every minute of every day) and the world must see...