Sunday, May 17, 2009

baked oatmeal, revised.

Baked Oatmeal is something I'd fallen in love with over the years, but never really made. The recipes I have all call for insane amounts of sugar, melted butter, and eggs, which never seemed all that . . . healthy? (Plus, from all of that gunk, eating it usually made me feel a little ill!) I decided to revise my recipe this morning, and discovered a delicious result!

example

Revised Baked Oatmeal

Stir together:

1 1/2 cups oats
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed (this could be reduced even further in the future)
3/4 cup milk whipped with 1 tbsp Ener-G
1/4 cup Earth Balance, melted
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup nuts (I used almonds and walnuts)
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used cranberries and blueberries)

After stirring, let the oatmeal sit for a few minutes to absorb some of the liquid. Pour into a greased 8-inch pan, and bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

(I drizzled my portion with a wee bit of heavy cream . . . very decadent!)

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh, I totally want some! Definitely need to try this recipe out, after I get some brown sugar!

Anonymous said...

I just made a comment on another blog that I'd never tired baked oatmeal before. This sounds like a great (and easily veganizeable) recipe to start with -Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm...I used to love baked oatmeal, and it has been so long since I have had it! Yum! I have a yummy recipe that uses apple sauce I will have to dig around for...

Courtney

Catherine Weber said...

Shelly, other than the heavy cream I drizzled on the oatmeal, the batch I made was vegan -- I used almond milk in the base. Enjoy!

aTxVegn said...

This recipe looks very healthy like oatmeal should be -yum!