Monday, May 18, 2009

busy bee.

I am thankful to have the day off today, and have been one heck of a busy bee with all of my free time!

First, many, many things happening in the kitchen . . .

Rhubarb for the freezer:
example

Asparagus for the freezer:
example

Oh yeah, more asparagus for the freezer:
example

12 cups of chickpeas for the freezer:
example

Pasta salad:
example
Caprese-style with tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella, coated in a simple balsamic vinaigrette.

AND, "Quinoa Salad with Black Beans and Mango:"
example
Ah, VCON, how I've neglected thee lately. This salad ROCKS. Quick, simple, gorgeous, healthy, and delicious! I imagine this would make an amazing potluck offering at some point this summer. :) And maybe amazing camping food, too!

I also met my friend Ashley for coffee this afternoon, and ran a couple of errands. I spent a FORTUNE at Target . . . a few new summer tops, a dress for a wedding we're attending in a couple of weeks, camping supplies for our upcoming trip, dish soap, toilet bowl cleaner . . . it all adds up so FAST!

Can you believe, however, that the one thing on my Target list that I didn't get (because it wasn't available) was a black cardigan sweater? Weird. I guess I'll try the Gap? American Apparel? H&M? (Although, going all the way to the "Black Hole of Death" seems extreme just for one sweater.) Grumble. Target, why did you let me down!??!?!?

Off to finish up my to-do list for the evening -- I have tons of cleaning left to do.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't that quinoa salad SO good?!

Question--when you freeze your asparagus, are you cooking it first? Or are you freezing it raw? Just curious...

Courtney

Catherine Weber said...

I steamed the asparagus for just a couple of minutes, shocked it in icewater, and then transfered it to doubled freezer bags once completely frozen. We'll see how this goes!

Crystal said...

So many goodies for the freezer!

Don't worry about missing a black sweater at Target...it would have been mis-shapen in about a week anyway;) (at least that's what happens to all my clothes from Target)

Carrie™ said...

Wow! I hope you have a large freezer. That's a lot of stuff. Both salads look & sound delicious. And isn't it frustrating when you are looking for a certain item of clothing and it's no where to be found? And it's usually something simple. I remember years ago I wanted a red blouse. Just a plain, button up the front, red blouse. I looked for months and never did find one. Good luck on the cardigan search.

veggievixen said...

wow, i can only imagine your freezer right now. sounds amazing. how big is it?!?

you're right, things at target do add up so quickly!

yummy pasta salad :)

Sharon said...

Quinoa! I've been looking for it for ages!

aTxVegn said...

I hope I can get that much aspargus, rhubarb, and chickpeas into my freezer. Very impressive!

Anonymous said...

Oh Target...I spent a bit there when I was in the U.S. last summer.
I have a question - do you freeze your chickpeas in glass jars? I've never frozen anything in glass jars because I'm afraid it'll break - do tell, Cath!

Crystal said...

Re: tempeh nicoise
I steam the tempeh in a steamer basket for 10-15 minutes. Then I pan fry it using olive oil until it gets crispy. It takes on a nutty flavor when crisped up.

Right before it's done, I throw a little bit of the vinaigrette in the pan (like 1-2 tbsp) and let that sizzle. Then serve!

Vegan_Noodle said...

I need to follow your example and freeze a bunch of food!

I've been neglecting vcon too! That quinoa salad looks perfect for this time of year.