Friday, March 03, 2006

chocolate cake and potato chips

I was just reading someone's blog (who shall remain nameless,) and aparently there is this new trend where people blog everything they've eaten that day. I think that is sort of strange. Why is it that many (women especially) feel the need to "confess" everything they've eaten in a day? Why do we see food as the enemy?

There's this really great quote from one of the Bridget Jones books, and I'm not going to bother looking it up so I won't quote it directly, but the general question she asked herself was when had she moved from seeing calories as essential for life, to seeing calories as the enemy?

I guess I just don't get it, really. I like to think I've always had a healthy relationship with food. I love to cook and eat, so I do "obsess" over my food shopping and preparation, and I like to eat things that taste good and make me feel healthy. But really, I'm not thinking every single time I put something in my mouth.

As an example, in addition to the banana, granola, and yogurt I had for breakfast this morning, I also had a small piece of chocolate cake, and a handfull of potato chips. Why? Because I was setting up snack for the day, and was adding a few leftover potato chips to the gorp for the morning class. (It was, by far, the weirdest snack ever. But mighty tasty. The children named it, "Crazy Snack Mix!") And the chocolate cake was sitting on the counter, leftover from someone's birthday earlier in the week. And it looked good, and tasted good, too!

Now, chocolate cake and potato chips are not normal parts of my breakfast routine, nor my daily routine, but every once in a while, it's nice to have a treat.

Probably why I'll never be a size 2. Oh well!

Sorry for the rant. It just makes me sad when people are afraid enough of their food to feel guilty about eating something.

No comments: