Sunday, March 12, 2006


I checked out about a bazillion cookbooks from the library yesterday, and have become engrossed in Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian. It is just what I needed! New flavors, new techniques, new ingredients . . . wahoo!

I am currently working on her recipe for refried black beans. A safe start, if you ask me, but I have made my own refried beans with poor results in the past, and want to give hers a go. I have a feeling the yield will be enormous, so I'll be freezing some for another time.

ALSO, I had brussels sprouts for the second time in my life today. I roasted them with garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper. They were good! I thought they tasted a lot like broccoli. Next time, I'll use more balsamic vinegar, because the flavor was not nearly present enough.

I also made hummus this weekend. It really hasn't been a very exciting weekend, cooking-wise. I was gone most of the day yesterday, however, so, I guess that explains it. It's hard to cook when you aren't home!

Five more days until spring break! (Can you tell I'm excited???)

1 comment:

Catherine Weber said...

Recipe Review:

The beans are AWESOME! Of course I didn't follow her exact recipe . . . I didn't have fresh tomato or jalapeno on hand. But this is what I did:

(This yielded about 3 1/2 cups)
1. Quick-soak 1 1/4 cups dried black beans. Drain and rinse. Return the beans to the pan and add 4 cups of water. Bring the beans to a boil, reduce the heat, cover them partially, and cook them until tender (my beans took a little over 2 hours.) Cool the beans slightly before dumping them, cooking liquid and all, into your blender or food processor. Puree the beans and reserve.
2. Cook 5 tablespoons of minced onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic in 1 tablespoon of canola oil until soft. Add 6 dashes of Tobasco sauce, 1 can of diced tomatoes, (drain them first and chop them more finely with your knife,) and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Cook this for a minute before adding the beans.
3. After you add the beans, cook them for about 10 minutes, or until they are the thickness you like. (They will thicken a little more as they cool.) Once cooled, I froze half and chilled the other half.