Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Midweek Munchies

Here's what I bought last Sunday:

BULK:
Organic Black Beans (2 3/4 pounds . . . boy, they came out of the dispenser FAST!)

BAKERY:
A peanut butter chocolate chunk cookie ('cause I was hungry, and to thank Ann, my driver -- we split it on the way back to my apartment!)

FROZEN:
1 pint Soy Delicious Mocha Almond Fudge (coffee ice cream with a fudge ribbon and whole almonds)
1 pint Soy Delicious Cherry Nirvana (cherry ice cream with whole cherries and dark chocolate flakes!!!!)

PACKAGED GROCERY:
3 quarts Plain Enriched Soy Dream
one Green and Black's organic dark chocolate bar
2 cans Muir Glen organic no salt added diced tomatoes
1 bottle Seventh Generation lavender dish soap

PRODUCE:
6 organic bananas
1 organic mango
2 organic ruby red grapefruit
1 head organic garlic
1 bunch organic kale
1 large, organic yellow onion
1 medium, organic yam
1 bag prewashed organic baby spinach

I was so very excited to see the Soy Delicious pints in fancy flavors. After reading about Leslie's midnight milkshake, in which she used Soy Delicious cookies & cream, I have had MAJOR ice cream cravings. (Unfortunately, my co-op wasn't stocking the cookies & cream variety on Sunday. Boo!) I was excited to try both of these flavors -- Cherry Garcia used to be my favorite B&J flavor, and I love coffee ice cream in all forms. The Mocha Almond Fudge is FABULOUS. Cherry Nirvana is a little too sweet for me. I looked at the nutrition facts on the labels and guess what? The Mocha Almond Fudge actually has MORE grams of sugar per serving than Cherry Nirvana. Go figure.

Visit more Midweek Munchies participants.
Thanks to Harmonia for starting it all!

7 comments:

Harmonia said...

I responded to your comment on my blog as well as asked a question for whoever would like to answer.

GRAPEFRUIT! Yum! I just might have to go get one tonight!!! Thanks for the idea!

Do you eat it raw or use it in a dish somehow?

Awesome list!

Catherine Weber said...

I just started getting into grapefruit the past year or so. I usually cut the top and bottom off of the grapefruit, slice down vertically, cutting off all of the pith, and then "popping" out each section by making two slices with my knife. I then enjoy the sections as is, or with a wee sprinkle of natural sugar. Yum!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

catherine - i enjoyed looking at your list. peanut butter & chocolate is my all time favorite combination -- i would have arm wrestled ann for the other half of that cookie! how will you use the kale?

Harmonia said...

boo hiss! I went to the store and they only had grapfruit in 5 pound bags! There is no way I could eat all that by myself before it gets funky! I'll have to try another store!

Catherine Weber said...

I sautee half an onion and two cloves of garlic in a little oil until they are soft, add a bunch of kale, cut up, and about a cup of vegetable broth. I then bring everything to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer it for 20 minutes. If there's a lot of extra liquid, you can try to boil it off or just drain the kale. It's a nice side dish, or topping for pasta, or however you want to use it!

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

Thanks for sharing how you prepare kale...I'll give it a try. Until not too long ago, I thought it was only a garnish. Bet it's really good for you with that dark green color...

Catherine Weber said...

Yup -- iron, calcium, and other good stuff. I always thought greens were supposed to taste bitter, but I really like kale -- at least the way I've been preparing it!