Saturday, March 07, 2009

Yoga Challenge (day 7,) big shop, and FLOG

I went for a walk with my friend Courtney this afternoon, and decided yoga would be a good way to stretch out my muscles following our light, social work-out. I chose the 35-minute instructional portion of Yoga Journal's "Step by Step Session 1" video that I got from Netflix earlier this week. Although this portion was not a flowing routine, I still think I got a lot out of it -- the tutorial moved more slowly, so I was able to focus more on my breathing, as well as attempting to do the poses correctly.

I'm really struggling with downward dog. I have an extra "bend," (my body is more of a U-shape, as opposed to a V-shape,) and can't seem to find a way to get my feet flat on the floor. I have long legs, stubby little arms, and inflexible leg muscles -- downward dog is quite the challenge! Any ideas/suggestions from you yoga queens out there?

~~~~~~~~~~

Almost first thing this morning, I decided to borrow Dan's car for a majorly big shop at the co-op. I felt like I needed one of everything! Geez! Here's the motherload:

example

BULK:
local sliced almonds
organic raw almonds
organic pecans
organic walnuts
tahini
local, organic, whole-wheat pastry flour
local, organic rolled oats
organic short-grain brown rice
active dry yeast
organic, fair-trade, dark chocolate chips
nutritional yeast flakes
dried blueberries
dried cherries
dried apricots

CHEESE:
local, organic ricotta
sharp cheddar

FROZEN:
organic raspberries
Boca meatless crumbles

HERBS & SPICES:
local, organic ground allspice
local, organic star anise
local, organic Italian seasoning
oregano
parsley

PACKAGED GROCERY:
organic brown rice vinegar
red wine vinegar
aluminum-free baking powder
organic no-stir peanut butter
"Moroccan Pomegranate" red tea
organic apple cider vinegar
organic light agave nectar
local, organic maple syrup
organic pumpkin puree
artichoke pasta sauce
local, organic sunbutter
muffin liners
Seventh Generation laundry detergent
Seventh Generation dish soap
Seventh Generation TP

PERSONAL CARE:
razor cartriges
NatraCare pantiliners

PRODUCE:
organic celery
organic bananas
organic avocado
organic eggplant
organic red onion
organic red bell pepper
jalapeno
organic pitted dates

REFRIGERATED GROCERY:
organic superfirm tofu
Earth Balance buttery sticks
"Watermelon Chill" Naked Juice
local, organic eggs

I should be set for a LONG time, save for produce, don't you think?? :)

~~~~~~~~~~

COFFEE:
example
I usually take my coffee black, but I decided to add almond milk and agave this morning.

ERRANDING SNACK:
example
I HATE it when I get it in my head that waiting to eat breakfast is a good idea . . . I saved myself by picking up a Naked Juice at the co-op. This one is one of my favorites.

LATE BREAKFAST:
example
Leftover roll, toasted, with sunbutter.

BRUNCH:
example
Scrambled tofu, hash browns, and a Minneola.

AFTERNOON TREAT:
example
The last chocolate-chip cookie.

DINNER:
example
My friend Ashley came over to hang out, and I made us chili and cornbread. I used the "Very Veggie Chili" recipe from Vegan Planet again, adding a package of Boca meatless crumbles. I also switched it up a little more this time, using kidney beans instead of chickpeas. This may be my go-to chili recipe from now on -- it is so hearty, nutritious, and tasty!

TREAT:
example
Ashley bought us some pumpkin ice cream! It was SOOOOOOOO tasty. I'm using all of my willpower NOT to finish off the rest of the pint that's tucked away in my freezer right now!

~~~~~~~~~~

Don't forget to spring your clocks ahead tonight!

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh wow, I always look forward to your hauls. They are superb! And love your eats. Mmmmmm ICE CREAM to finish off, delicious!

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, love love love your hauls! They are always amazing, and you find such great things!

And great finale, LOVE ICE CREAM! =D

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I always love your groceries and eats!! Holy yum!!

MeloMeals said...

I'm so glad that you liked the soup.

That is a great haul at the store! You are definitely set for a while.

I think with yoga, just keep doing it and you'll get better at the more challenging poses. I have noticed improvement already in some of my flexibility!

Liz said...

Don't stress the whole heels not reaching the floor thing with down dog- Instead focus on extending your sides and back fully and lifting and spreading your sit-bones. And internally rotating your upper arms. You can even put your heels up a wall a bit so you're standing on your tip toes and bend your knees. Practice it for a while like that (and for a while I mean 10 minutes to 10 years). Eventually you can try to slowly straighten your legs as much as you can without distorting the position of the upper body or pelvis. Then you can reach for the floor with your heels. It could also be stiffness in your upper arms/shoulders causing the distortion in your "V/U" shape. Practicing this way will help, but doing lots of arm-overhead type extensions are good for this, too.

This is very wordy, but I hope it helps. It's a really common down dog prob. You're not alone!

veggievixen said...

your brunch looks delish!

it took me forever to figure out downward dog, and of course now i'm totally out of practice and inflexible. but it helps if you roll up your mat or a towel and put it under your heels. also, get a friend to help you--go into the pose, then have them wrap a yoga belt (they can also use their hands, but it's harder), wrap it around your uppermost thighs, and have them pull back. it's amazing!

Anonymous said...

Wait--I think you really DID get one of everything at the co-op! Haha :o) Looks like it is a very good thing you had a car to get all of that home!

Pumpkin ice cream sounds so delicious...I don't know that my willpower would be as strong as yours!

Courtney

Crystal said...

I have to admit, my 31 days of yoga have turned into only 2 days of yoga :( You're doing so well - great job!

Tell me more about the pumpkin ice cream...where did you get it? Is it Sebastian Joe's? I love pumpkin ice cream!