Friday, September 26, 2008

as requested . . .

I received a couple of email requests for my sweet potato soup recipe. Here 'tis:

Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup
YIELD: 4 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1 teaspoon light cooking oil
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red curry paste (hot, or really freakin’ hot – you pick!)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 heaping cups peeled sweet potato, diced small (about 2 small ones)
1/8 teaspoon salt (or a little more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro

DIRECTIONS:
1. Saute the onion in the oil over medium heat until the onion is nice and soft. Add the red curry paste, and continue cooking 1 minute. Add the vegetable broth, sweet potato, salt, and ginger, and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the soup, and simmer it 10 to 15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender. (It should fall off a fork when pierced and lifted out of the soup!)
2. Transfer the soup to your blender. Process the soup in batches until it is fully pureed. (Pull the stopper out of the blender top and cover the hole with a folded towel while you are blending the soup to allow steam to escape.) (You can alternately puree the soup using a hand blender directly in the pan.)
3. Return the soup to the pan. Stir in the coconut milk and cilantro. Heat the soup through on low.

5 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! Sounds absolutely incredible.

Monika K said...

This sounds amazing! I've got some extra green curry paste in the fridge that I've been looking for an excuse to use and I think I've found the winning recipe!

Thanks for sharing...

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad you posted this!!! Yummmmmmmy!

J said...

I was hoping you would post the recipe! It sounds fantastic, thanks for giving us the recipe!

Anonymous said...

I made this for lunches! It tastes great and was seriously one of the easiest soups I've ever made. Thanks!