Wednesday, September 24, 2008

soup, salad, sandwich

I've got a great boyfriend.

Why? Well, after the long, cool, dreary, rainy day we had yesterday, I found myself at home immediately after work, craving a grilled cheese sandwich. Dan called about two seconds after I walked in the door, letting me know he was on his way over. (We had planned to have a low-key Tuesday night "date" last night. I was going to cook, and that was about it.) Despite the monsoon-like downpour conditions outside, Dan was happy to stop and pick up bread and cheese so I could feed that craving!

And not just any bread and cheese -- 100% whole-wheat bread, and local Monterey Jack cheese. Yay Dan.

While Dan was battling the rain, I made my sweet potato coconut curry soup, and a quick side salad topped with roasted candy-stripe beets, local goat cheese, balsamic vinegar, and a drizzle of olive oil:
example
The sandwich was cheesy, crispy, and ever-so slightly greasy, the soup was sweet and spicy, and the salad was clean, crisp, and earthy from those beets. Lots of flavors and textures -- a great soup, salad, sandwich kind of dinner!

8 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Your boyfriend is definitely a keeper! :0)

Jodi Anderson said...

I just finished breakfast, but I'm suddenly very, VERY hungry for this lunch. Yum.

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

oh yummm there is nothing like warm food on a cold day!!! and your boy sounds wonderful :)

Hungry Hungry Dancer said...

oh yummm there is nothing like warm food on a cold day!!! and your boy sounds wonderful :)

Anonymous said...

Your boyfriend's so nice to do that! I bet that made the sandwich taste even better.
Coconut curry soup? What recipe did you use?

Catherine Weber said...

The soup recipe is my own creation -- mainly, sweet potatoes, veggie broth, coconut milk, and red curry paste!

Judy's Nutrition said...

Mmm, that plate looks divine. I will have to try your soup too, it sounds easy and delicious.

Anonymous said...

food looks good! Yay for Dan saving the day! Go Dan!

Look at that cheese melt off to the side. YUMO!