Saturday, September 13, 2008

FLOG, full vs. stuffed

First, my Saturday FLOG:

BREAKFAST:
a cup of black coffee, my multivitamin, and:
example
a Muesli Breakfast Bar and a pluot

WORK SNACK:
example
Naked Juice "Blue Machine" smoothie (never tried this flavor before -- not my favorite. It was good, but not groundbreaking.)

LUNCH:
leftover curry and brown rice from last night
one cookie
(no picture; sorry!)

DINNER:
example
Carribean Red Beans and Brown Rice (from the Mayo Clinic Cookbook,) broiled plantains with kosher salt (SOOOO good!), and sauteed kale with garlic.

MOVIE SNACK:
popcorn with Earth Balance and sea salt
unsweetened ginger tea

~~~~~~~~~~

Dan made a comment as we were serving up dinner this evening; "you're really doing the vegan thing lately." I guess I have been, mostly, anyways. I've also been eating a TON of beans. I love beans! We got to talking, and Dan admits that he loves vegan food, but that it doesn't make him feel "full." I brought up the idea of "full" versus "stuffed" -- heavy things like eggs, dairy, and meat have always made me feel "stuffed," whereas healthier fare makes me feel comfortably "full." He agreed with my distinction between the two feelings, (and the two cuisines,) and I also mentioned that tofu, tempeh, and seitan have the potential to be more filling than beans, lentils, and whole grains. I guess, in the end, I tend to prefer lighter foods. I don't know whether I always have, or if my tastes have changed with my eating habits.

However, not being one to disappoint the BF's palate, I pose the following questions:

What are your favorite tricks for making vegan food very filling? What are your favorite "heavier" vegan meals/recipes?

For me, I think seitan is probably the most filling vegan entree I've ever eaten, and strangely, white rice sushi has "stuffed" potential, as well.

Thanks!

6 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

My favorite "heavier" vegan recipe = Snobby Joes from Veganomicon.

Anonymous said...

Fake meat is what is most filling to me. Also sandwiches which can be fake meat or just veggies. I make this killer vegetable sandwich called a "crew sandwich" which is mega filling and it is just cucumbers, tomato, roasted red peppers, avocado, lettuce, red onion and a light vinaigrette on a sourdough baguette. It is totally satisfying.

I have been eating a great deal more vegan lately so much so that when I had some real cheese tonight I did not feel good at all!

Anonymous said...

Funny--I always think of beans as very very filling for some reason...which is probably why I love them so much! They keep me full and satisfied for a long time! To make a meal more substantial, my answer is always to add beans...they go with just about everything, after all!

Courtney

Meg said...

Your rice and beans look yummy! Did you make the meusli bar? It looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

My husband is vegan by default most of the time (since I do the meal prep) but orders meat on his pizza, etc. As long as there is a grain, he feels stuffed (he's 6'1", 95lbs). He's a very big eater, and if it's a bit light on the grains and heavy on the veggies - especially raw ones - he'll have eat seconds or thirds. Or add a piece of bread or something. Startches really bring me to the stuffed world...evil feeling...

Anonymous said...

I like to have beans with my burrito and tons of lettuce. It fills me up nicely without stuffing me. I think the carbs from the beans and tortilla balances it out with the slightly heavy beans and light veggies.