Friday, September 12, 2008

thank you, Mayo Clinic!

I began exploring the newest addition to my cookbook collection last night, The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook. Per a suggestion from a fellow blogger, I decided to start with the Muesli Breakfast Bars. Look how tasty:
example
I followed the recipe almost exactly as written, with three minor changes: I didn't want to use up all of Dan's buckwheat honey even though the recipe called for "dark honey," so I just used the regular local honey I had on hand, I made the bars in a 9-inch square pan instead of a 9X13 pan (so they would be thicker,) and I also cut the bars into 12 servings, instead of 24. Why? As written, one bar contained only 162 calories. Handy if I was dieting, but I'm not, and honestly, I need more breakfast than that! Those kids keep me busy, and a hungry teacher is a bad, bad thing. :) (My version also contains 10 g protein and 6 g fiber per bar. Sustainment!)

Straight out of the fridge this morning, the bars are dense, chewy, sweet, and filling. I think they have great potential for fussing and adapting, too! I'd like to try a vegan version with agave instead of the honey and flax meal instead of the nonfat dry milk powder, switch up the dried fruits, etc.

Finally -- a homemade granola bar recipe I can chow down on!

5 comments:

funwithyourfood said...

you should def try with honey. a much lower glycemic index so you won't crash as much later in the afternoon... not sure what else is in them but i'd loove some dried fruit and tastey toasted nuts... wow i think it's breakfast time for me!
cant wait to see a modified recipe

teddy

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

What a FABULOUS breakfast bar!!

J said...

A homemade granola bar recipe? This is something I should really try, that way I can stop buying packaged granola bars from the store.

Did they take a long time/were they difficult to make?

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked them! Yep, very adaptable!

Carrie™ said...

That looks soooo good! I'm having a really hard time giving up my bagel & cream cheese for breakfast. It's so much carbs, that I know I should cut back, but it's just so tasty. Something like this might work. Great idea.
BTW, I've been meaning to send you a big THANK YOU for the tip about the peppers with adobo. I hate to throw the rest of the can away, so now I have a solution. You rock!!