Thursday, March 17, 2011

bless you, stir fry.

My general rule of thumb at the Asian grocery store is, if I'm sitting there looking at 89 cents a package water-packed tofu, when in doubt, buy an extra package! The tofu is always so fresh, the "use-by" date is always at least a month from the day I'm purchasing it, and really, you never know when you are going to need it!

Like tonight . . . I had planned over a week ago on making a kale and "sausage" soup with white beans, tomatoes, and potatoes. Like Ali said not too long ago -- if I have to face another bowl of soup this winter, I might just throw it at the wall in protest!

So, I decided to re-purpose those ingredients (sausage and kale) in a different way, but found I was missing some of the ingredients for my "new" idea. :) Good thing I work four blocks away from Mississippi Market! BUT . . . what to feed myself tonight?

When in doubt, press that emergency package of tofu, clean out the fridge, and make a stir-fry!

Bless you, stir fry, you saved my dinner! Who needs another friggin' bowl of soup, when you can have a pile of veggies and delicious tofu coated in a spicy, salty sauce, all atop some healthy brown rice? Not me! (At least not this time of year!)

What are some of the ingredients/staples you always keep on hand? I gotta say, that backup package of tofu has saved my ass so many times . . . !!

3 comments:

Ali said...

Yum, that looks great! I think I need to make some stir fry asap. Such a great way to get lots of veggies into me! YAY SPRING!

Emily said...

I like to have tofu on hand all the time too!
Other than that...popcorn. I can always go for a little popcorn. :)

Anonymous said...

For me, it is canned tomatoes, home cooked beans in the freezer, and salad veggies. I always seem to have those things, and I can always seem to come up with some way to put them together that makes me excited enough to eat it :-)

Courtney