Thursday, March 31, 2011

kids say the darndest

These last few weeks have been extra-challening for me at work for a variety of reasons, one of which has been my break-up with Dan. The kids have all met Dan -- he was kind of a "celebrity" with my preschoolers.

Well, needless to say, I just haven't known exactly what to do or say in this situation. I didn't want to make a "big announcement" or anything, since that seemed kind of weird, so I have just been quietly and honestly explaining the situation to individual children, as the conversation dictated. Only a couple of the kids "know," and that's fine -- I think the whole concept of adult relationships is super-confusing to preschoolers anyway, so as long as they know that he isn't my boyfriend any more, that is sufficient and clear enough.

So, I had a conversation with one of my kidlets at pickup time tonight that went something like this:

Me: _____, your mom is here, time to head home!
Kid: Oh! Hi mom. But I just want to play Candyland first.
Mom: let's go!
Me: We can play Candyland tomorrow, I promise. Besides, I need to get going and catch the bus! (This particular child was my last pickup of the night.)
Kid: Why isn't Dan picking you up? (Dan would occasionally pick me up from work, maybe about once every-other week or so.)
Me: Well, Dan isn't my boyfriend any more, so he won't be picking me up any more.
Kid: He doesn't live with you any more?
Me: No.
Kid: Where does he live?
Me: In a different apartment, in Minneapolis.
Kid: Oh. Who lives with you, then?
Me: Just me and Oliver.
Kid: You should get a new boyfriend, then.
Me: I will.
Kid: When?
Me: Not right now.
Kid: Tomorrow?
Me: No. In time.
Kid: Well, you should get one soon.

Oh sweetie, if it were only that simple! :)

2 comments:

radioactivegan said...

Kids are so cute. And it certainly makes sense, strictly from a transportation point of view :)

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised kids that age are so aware of "boyfriends"! They sound sweet though... hope you're getting through the rest of the post-breakup process ok =)