Sunday, March 06, 2011

pre-church breakfast

Typically, Sunday mornings are a mad rush out the door for me -- and I'm not very good about getting a decent amount of food in my belly pre-church. (I can't tell you how many times I've dashed away, cluthing a slice of bread or an apple. The horror!) No wonder I'm so hungry by the time church is over! :)

Today, however, I woke up earlier than I usually do, and had time to make myself something to sustain me through all of that singing and listening -- French toast!

I had a partial loaf of VERY old homemade bread that was either going to be eaten or tossed today -- I decided to soak it in a simple egg/milk/agave/Penzey's Baking spice custard while I drank my coffee, fried it up in a little butter (gasp!) and drizzled it with syrup. A simple, thrown-together fruit salad on the side complimented things nicely, and I am now full and happy, enjoying my second cup of coffee (double gasp!)

This coffee better kick in quick, because I'm starting to feel like I could go back to bed. Sigh. Sometimes leaving the house in the morning is so hard, isn't it?

1 comment:

MeloMeals said...

Remembering butter, it didn't take a lot to impart a lot of flavor. I still make my kids grilled cheese and quesadilla in butter as a treat for them.. (usually when I'm at my x's house and using his butter.. i never buy it!)

The fruit looks amazing too..

re: road trip.. not only am I going all the way out to Portland, then I am going down to LA and San Diego and down through New Orleans, Texas and Florida and probably back up the Eastern Coast.. I want to experience eveyrwhere to figure out where I want to move.. or IF I want to move!