Saturday, March 19, 2011

Saturday night supper

Even though I haven't had much of an appetite lately, (stress, ya know,) I am going to start forcing myself back into my kitchen, preparing healthy meals for myself as much as I can. I managed a gorgeous, healthy, tasty dinner for myself tonight!

Red beans and rice, (using the "Messy Rice" recipe from Veganomicon, adding a chipotle Field Roast sausage and a can of small red beans,) a few leaves of leftover chard, sauteed in garlic and finished with a little lemon juice, and a fig-balsamic marinaded portobello mushroom. Yum! The chipotle sausage is pleasantly spicy, and adding it, with the beans, to the rice recipe made one delicious entree! (With plenty of leftovers. We'll see how well I do with those!!?!?!) The mushrooms are fantastic, of course, and I must confess . . . I think I prefer chard over kale, at least in cooked form. (Gasp! I know!)

Dessert was delightful, too:

Homemade butterscotch pudding! Mmmmmmmm. My coteacher mentioned something about butterscotch pudding the other day, and I've been craving some ever since. I used almond milk in place of regular/dairy milk, and the pudding is a little thinner than usual, but still delicious!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, folks!

No comments: