Sunday, July 02, 2006

Lemon-Orange Fennel Salad

Oh, how I love fennel. Why did it take me 26 years to discover fennel?

Anyhow, this recipe is courtesy of Cooking Light. I cut the original recipe in half, (adjusted amounts are listed here,) because six servings of any salad (even a really fabulous one) is too much for me!

Toss together and chill 30 minutes before serving:
2 cups thinly sliced fennel
1 cup orange sections
1/2 cup lemon sections
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 tablespoon minced fresh mint
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons minced fennel fronds
1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

This salad is awesome -- salty, sweet, and sour. Mmmm fennel! It's also very pretty -- white, orange, green, and purple. I thought the lemon sections would be weird, but they aren't -- sour, but appropriately so.

6 comments:

KleoPatra said...

Like paella, i don't think i've ever consciously had fennel. What is wrong with me!? Thanks fot he head's up on this...

Catherine Weber said...

no worries -- I discovered fennel less than a year ago. I love it so much . . . ! I love what becoming vegetarian has done to my diet -- I've discovered so many new vegetables and fruits I had never heard of until I cut out meat (and now most eggs and dairy products!) And people wonder what vegetarians eat!?!

Eat Peace Please said...

This sounds soooo good. All those combos together, yum! I bet it looked pretty.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could love fennel. I think it's the licorice flavour that turns me off.

funwithyourfood said...

HELLOO
I found a computer YAY
I've never eaten fennel before :-O
But reading this rav review, looks like I should be trying it soon.

Teddy

Catherine Weber said...

Leslie, it is VERY pretty! :) Company-worthy, for sure!

Megan, that's too bad . . . I've always liked black licorice, even as a little kid. Where has fennel been all my life? :)

Teddy, hope you're having a great trip! Definitely try fennel, unless, like Megan, you don't care for black licorice flavor. It's not very strong, but definitely present.