Thursday, July 20, 2006

saddest dinnerbox ever

Some friends are picking me up straight from work tonight and we are headed to an outdoor concert, so I packed a dinner in my Laptop Lunchbox because I know I won't make it until 8:00 without something to eat. It's the saddest "dinnerbox" ever -- a sunbutter and strawberry all-fruit spread sandwich, grapefruit segments, baby carrots with hummus, and a couple bites of "tiger chocolate" (dark chocolate with espresso beans.) I really, really need to go grocery shopping. Here's hoping I can make some time to do that this weekend!

P.S. About the Laptop Lunchbox . . . if you are a long-time visitor to my blog, you know how much I love it! However, my only complaint to date is that a sandwich really doesn't fit in the container that's designed to hold a sandwich. This was never much of a problem for me, because I'm not a huge sandwich person. However, I think I solved the problem today -- I just took the sandwich-sized container out of the lunchbox and tossed the sandwich in the bottom of the box. The few extra milimeters of space seem to have solved the sandwich smush problem! Awesome.

P.P.S. The heat has finally broken here -- mid eighties during the day, and temps dropping into the sixties at night. Whew!

5 comments:

Crystal said...

Yay to the heat breaking! I didn't have to endure too much of it since I was inside in meetings all day during the really hot days. AND by some kind of miracle, when I arrived back in Minneapolis on Monday night, it was nice and cool (well, somewhat cool).

-Crystal

Eat Peace Please said...

Your current temperatures sound like our regular winters!

That was a good call taking the sandwich container out to make it unsmooshed.

Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

outdoor concert sounds like lots of fun & it'll be nice to have some food in the box. it's still hotter than shiznighton here.

Crystal said...

Funny about the lunch.

Mine was a sunflower butter and strawberry jelly sandwich, a carrot from our crop share, some homemade granola, and some rice crackers. Yeah, we are going to the store tonight!

Ryan

Catherine Weber said...

Crystal, you're lucky you missed most of the heat -- last weekend was pretty miserable, especially since I sold my air conditioner! I survived, though I did feel sorry for my poor kit-cat!

Raising Kahne, I actually almost prefer sunbutter to peanut butter -- it's a little less intense. It's also the only "alternative" nut butter that I really like -- almond butter is a little too pasty for my tastes, and cashew butter doesn't taste like much, in my opinion.

Leslie, ohmygod, it's this hot in the WINTER in your neck of the woods? Man, give me sweater weather year round, and I'm a happy camper.

Vicki, I have to say, "shiznighton" is the best word I've ever heard. I may have to work it into a recipe title, with your permission!

Ryan, we had twin lunches, almost! Too funny. It seems no matter what the state of my fridge is, I always seem to at least have PBJ and baby carrots. Unless I run out of bread . . . !!